Friday, June 28, 2019

Bilander Rigging

I am currently trying to convert a Schooner from War Artisan to a bilander. These ships had rounded sterns and a large rudder. The sail plan was different than a schooner. Instead of a square mainsail, it had a trapezoidal one on an angle. It also had a triangular jib sail. They were mostly merchant vessels and as such, I have not made them armed.

I have one that is mostly done. I am unhappy with the main sail. I have the jib sail glued on as well as all of the masts and spars. I may put a couple of cannons on it. Haven't fully decided yet. It is coming along.

Also started work on the War Artisan 18 gun ship sloop. I am tempted to put cannon on the quarter deck to use it as a 24 gun 6th Rate. I have the form done but that is as far as it goes.

I need to print off a copy of the 14-gun schooner I just bought. I am really enjoying these ships. Some of the small parts are a bit fiddly but with practice, it isn't bad. I have made some rigging from glued thread. That is the most tedious part of the whole process. But it does leave the ships looking really nice. I should have finished my casualty dials but this was more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment