Friday, October 31, 2014

Well its that time of year so lets do Book Reviews.

Given the number of posts I have seen about the subject on my blog roll, I thought today would be a good day to talk about about a small guilty pleasure that I have developed over the past two years of reading zombie stories. Quite honestly, I was never a fan. Then the movie Zombieland came out and I happened to catch it on a business trip. It was very funny. It was not a scary gore fest.

Then I reconnected with my roommate from college. Turns out he is an author on Amazon. He convinced me to put In the Name of Roma up on Amazon and helped me complete my first novel. What was the subject of his book (now books)? Zombies. I was very hesitant to read it at first as I am not a horror fan. However, much to my delight, the books were story driven and I liked all of the characters. They just happened to be interacting during a Zombie apocalypse. I was hooked.

His first book in the series is Nicole's Odyssey.

This was a fun read and when I put it down, I really wanted more. Sure enough, he followed it up by two more books.

Substation is more of a prequel to the series and Liberation is adding new characters to the overall story. Both are good reads as well.

Phil has dragged me into this and I fully blame him. Looking for something else I found LZR-1143: Infection by Bryan James.

This too has proven to be a good story with less of the horror to it. I am only about half way through this book. He has three more in the series as well as some others as well. This should keep me busy.

All of these have one thing in common with their Zombies, they tend to be the traditional slow moving ones similar to those written about by Max Brooks (Mel's son). If I keep this up, I soon may be visiting Rebel Minis and picking up some Zombies in 15mm. I must resist, I must resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment