Thursday, November 17, 2022

Seven Years War

I am looking to work on a scenario supplement for the Seven Years War. I am looking to model actions by small detachments instead of recreate any grand battles. In my search for sources, I found the amazing http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/ site. This gives great information on uniforms but not the tactical inforamtion I was looking for. In 2019 I found a book by De Jeney, The Partisan; or the Art of Making War in Detachment. Then yesterday, I discovered Grandmaison's book, A Treatise on the Military Service, of Light Horse, and Light Infantry, in the Field, and in the Fortified Places.

Both of the books were translated close to the time of when they were written. I am a quarter of the way into the de Jeney book. The original author claims 25 campaigns served in the period, all across Europe. He offers recommendations on force sizes and provides uses for them. His recommendation is over half the force should be mounted.

So far this is proving to be an interesting excersize.

No comments:

Post a Comment