Friday, May 20, 2011

Mud and Blood - WWI Austrians

I was able to get Christian Ortner's excellent book Strom Troops: Austro-Hungarian Assault Units and Commandos in the First World War: Tactics, Organization and Equipment through inter library loan. What a great summary of the AH army in World War One. Without inter library loan, this book is WAY out of my current book budget. Used copies are going for $120.00.

It was rather illuminating to see the differences in the tactics and deployment of storm troops between the Germans and Austrians. The main point is the differences in the primary fronts each side dealt with. The Russian and Italian Fronts were almost a year behind in terms of tactical developments compared to the Western Front.

I am looking forward to finishing off this supplement for M&B. There is some great data out there for the AH, especially for some scenarios. The Russians are proving to be a much more difficult nut to crack.

While searching, I came across a great poster. I will leave you with that.
I found this on a newsgroup and do not know the source or copyright holder.

No comments:

Post a Comment