Wednesday, September 22, 2021

New Favorite Map Site

I was searching for some maps for June 22, 1944 that correlate to the beginning of Operation Bagration and the Soviet advance on the city of Orsha. I thought this might make a great campaign to play with my son now that he has his very own Soviet force for Chain of Command. (Thank you Jon!)

I stumbled on this site after not being able to get to my normal go to site. https://iu.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3003eaf8107048aeabd74b74a1481cb4 This has some really cool features and seems to have the most complete collection I have found yet. The files can be downloaded in very large TIF files that you can work with. If you want to look for the City of Orsha, I can tell you that it is in map section N36-049. I picked up the 1:50,000 scale map. Not sure that I could get the smaller 1:25,000 scale map and I am thankful to have found this.

The map dates to 1937 so it is probably not too far off. I can find the rail station. It should be plenty useful to create some scenarios for us. Now to find out some unit histories to flesh the idea out.

No comments:

Post a Comment