Thursday, March 17, 2016

Sabot Basing for 15mm - I think I have it

After the wood was a complete failure, I looked for something else. I found a sheet of styrene laying around and decided to give it a try. It was a slightly thick sheet and proved to be a complete pain to cut into my shape - 3" long by an 1 1/2" wide. I then glued the washers on it and gave it a quick coat of spray paint. This proved to be a very effective cutting guide once they were pried off. I then drilled my holes and it was perfect. It just is a bit thick.

Here is a group of eight Delancy Brigade troopers mounted in the sabot base. I have not finished the bases but I think it is looking pretty good so far. I just think the styrene is too thick. So I ran out to the store. I got some thinner sheeting that is super easy to cut. Score it with an exacto knife and it breaks right along the scoring. I also figure out what to do with militia basing. Militia are in groups of 10. I have a similar base but the rows are offset by one. This will make it very obvious that these are militia when on that base.

I have only rough cut these so far. I have to drill the holes yet and glue them to a magnet base before it's all said and done. At least I have my strategy now. The nice part is, I can rebase my Napoleonics and they can use the same sabots.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I just managed 10 bases with the thinner material this morning. I used packing tape to hold them all together and drilled them all at once. That was not too bad. I should have plenty sabots for SP2 now. I started to drill out the militia bases but had to go to work. I now need to rebase my existing figures and get the sabots glued to the magnetic sheet. The first was hard as I only had an idea and not a clear vision. Now it's coming together and is getting easier.

      Delete