Friday, April 18, 2014

Post 400: The Revenge of the Paint Table

Welcome to post number 400. Posting has slowed a bit here lately but I am trying to get things cranked up again. I am setting a goal for the Month of May, that I will post at least 4 times a week. With Easter coming up this weekend, there is no way that I can get much done before then. 400 posts is rather remarkable for me. The blog began in May of 2007. That puts this blog at 7 years old next month. I can hardly believe it has been that long. Enough nostalgia, on to the fun.

Finally! I got my paint brushes moving a bit and made some progress. Did I work on one of my existing projects? No. Instead I found some Late War Soviet vehicles that had not received any attention.

Here was my painting table at the middle of the week:

You can see that I have added several new items. I have a bunch of them from the Old Glory Dark Ages Baggage Train pack. Some Picts have been placed on the queue as well. There are 4 cavalry, 4 skirmishers and some spearmen that look almost identical to the javelin troops. There is a finished base of married Zulus and two Zulu leaders. Then there is the set of dead WWII Italians that need work.

Besides the above, there are some Late War Soviets that ended up receiving the attention. First is a set of 4 unprimed Ba-64 armored cars. Then there is one each of: T34-85, SU-100, SU-85 and SU-76M.

The T34 had hatches that would not fit. It was very frustrating. In order to make it work, I glued them on in an open position. That also did not look great so I went to the bits box to find some figure that would work as a soviet tanker. I found a Battlefront dismounted tanker figure. However he is rather big. I cut the figure down and got him in place. You can see his severed legs in the front right corner of the image. I did not have a suitable second figure and the other one's hand was overhanging the other hatch. So I left that one open.

All of the Soviet tanks are Old Glory/Command Decision figures.

I finished up the tanks last night. Here is the look of the painting table this morning.

And here are the tanks by themselves.

Lastly, you may remember that I had been working on terrain for a bit. One of the things that demotivated me was a slight disaster with a large wooded area that I was working on. The base of my woods fell in the garage to the concrete floor. It took me over a week to recover and pick up a brush again. I think I can fix this but it was definitely demotivating.

Well that is all for now. Take care and happy gaming.

11 comments:

  1. Quite a bit of variety on the paint table this week, Chris. Although I have only put together a few Old Glory armor, the fit (or lack thereof) can be frustrating. Paint always seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right. The tracks are never a perfect fit on these.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on post 400 and on getting some painting done, Chris. Onwards to post 500. Those tanks look good.
    I have had those demotivating experiences myself, but you got over it and that's what counts.
    Cheers,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on reaching the 400 Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 400 posts and 7 years is an impressive bench mark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for participating! I added your link to my blog post.
    Greetings, Sofie

    ReplyDelete