Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Distractions, Musings and Other stuff

Did you ever have one of those days where you were making decent progress on a task and suddenly "Oh Shiny" and you find yourself googling Late Roman army formations in the West for several hours? Well I had nearly completed an entire scenario for my East Front project when just such a moment occurred. All productive work stopped and suddenly I have 5 pages of notes on an army I may not buy.

On the plus side, I did manage to find several Russian language articles that are helping me with the scenarios for the east front CSIR stuff. One by Major General Ivan Terent'evich Zamertsev, who then was the commanding general of the 255th Rifle Division during the defense of Dnepropetrovsk.

Article Link

It is a really good article that I may have mentioned before. I did find another forum that was discussing the memoirs of a private soldier during September 1941 that described the conditions from his point of view. It painted a bleak picture indeed. He was a soldier in the 972nd Rifle Regiment attached to the 255th Division.

Article Link

His notes state that the new recruits were untrained, ill equipped and often went without food or water. Both articles are enlightening and go toward explaining how the Italians were able to achieve the successes that they did with so few casualties.

Then I started thinking about the Kettle Creek scenario from Saturday. The reinforcements were not coming and not having them is lethal for the Rebels. I am thinking of changing it (if I ever reissue it) to have 2 blank cards in the deck to drive reinforcements. One for the Rebels and the other for the Loyalists. Provide separate charts for each with a greater likelihood that Rebel reinforcements will arrive. Also, I will update the scenario to specify musicians for several of the big men. That was a glaring omission from the scenario.

Once home, I began to paint. I have been making some excellent progress on some leftover figures for Dux Britanarium when all of a sudden, I started to write this blog post. Hmmmmm...... I think I need to get some sleep.

1 comment: