Monday, November 1, 2021

Church Belfry - Example from St Nicholas Church, Smolyhiv, Ukraine

Again taking inspiration from Roll A One blog, I started Googling belfries in the Ukraine. Specifically, I was looking for something from a small rural church. The building that I found was an interesting wooden structure that dates back to 1743. I have a church that is similar to the one depicted here.

This church is a Greek Catholic church. Thus it lacks the orthodox cross on the steeple and on the belfry. The belfry is an interesting structure with a tin roof. Here is the detail showing more of it.

I found the church on Google Maps and tried to estimate the size of the church. I am not entirely sure it is 100% right but it should be close enough. I will likely make some tin rod to line the edges of the roof. but for now, this is what I have come up with.

2 comments: