Monday, July 9, 2012

AAR: Battle of Williamson's Plantation or Huck's Defeat

Last Saturday (7/7/2012), Mark hosted a game of AWI Sharp Practice. He ran the scenario 6 from my With Fire and Sword supplement: Williamson’s Plantation – July 12, 1780. What was nice was that it was nearly the anniversary of the fight and it was just up the road in South Carolina. I had just returned from a business trip less than an hour before the game start and had driven to the game directly from the airport.

While we were there, Jim showed off some miniatures for his next project: pre-dreadnaughts. He brought some sample Turkish and Greek ships.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures. I was taking these from my phone with none too steady hands.

I commanded the British Militia consisting of the Rocky Mount Militia (3 groups of 7), the Upper District Militia (4 groups of 7) and the Camden Militia Regiment (1 group of 6). My troops were encamped in a wheat field south of the Williamson's Plantation house.

Rob commanded the Provincial troops of the British Legion Cavalry and the New York Volunteers. For the Rebels, Mark commanded the Fair Field Regiment (2 groups of 7), Jim had command of the Turkey Creek Regiment(5 groups of 8), Brian commanded the 2nd New Acquisition Regiment (6 groups of 10) and Doug commanded the New Acquisition Regiment (3 groups of 10).

The scenario played out very quickly with the Loyalists surrounded and the enemy coming to grips with us on the first turn. A fortunate run of the cards got the Loyalists roused from camp preventing a complete rout which actually let the Loyalists preform better than our historical counterparts. For an unbiased view, Mark has posted his pictures to Flickr.

Enough with this, lets get to the "official" report of Colonel Matthew Floyd of the Camden Militia Regiment.


The following is an excerpt from the official after action report of Colonel Floyd:

The afternoon of July 11th, Captain Huck had made camp at the home of the notorious rebel Williamson. After chastising the folk of the plantation for turning their back on their rightful king, Huck and the officers of the Provincials took the house for their own and left the militia to the fields. My men were used to such hardships but we were rather put out that the Provincials did not even invite the commanders of the militia in for dinner.

General table layout. The Loyalist militia was in the lower left hand corner. The Provincials were in among the buildings. The table extended to the left and right.

In the early morning hours of July 12th, my senses were at highest alert and I roused my men not sure of what we would face. Following in short order were the other militia commanders: Col Ferguson of the Rocky Mount and Lieutenant Adamson of the small Camden detachment. I would like to note here that the militia became aware of the danger before the Provincial troops were aware of the danger coming from the countryside.

The Rebels were nearly upon us. The Provincials were the first to come under attack. The Rebels poured out of the woods without firing a shot. From what I have heard from the few British Legoin survivors is that it was the Rebel Colonel Neal that pressed the attack that would cause the Legion to run. Surprisingly, it was quite some time before Captain Huck made his appearance.

The fighting went back and forth with the Legion's first group being defeated and its second group winning. Eventually the numbers told and the Legion broke.

Soon the left of our position came under attack from Colonel Winn. The Camden and Rocky Mount units deployed along the wheat and fence line and held off their attack. Several volley's were exchanged before they attacked over the fence. One of the Rocky Mount groups sustained heavy casualties and broke. But their neighboring unit counterattacked and killed Colonel Winn!.

The Rebels from the Turkey Creek Regiment came through a large wheat field and were engaging the New York Volunteers who held them at bay for a significant amount of time until casualties wore them down. Once the New Yorkers were driven from the field, the Rebels from Turkey Creek turned their attention toward the Loyalist militia. I would be remiss if I were to fail to mention the valor displayed by Lieutenant Adamson. He held his men together against a charge from the enemy and drove them off. I would send some men to support his right flank after this.

Colonel Floyd's men are on the right side of the field. The other two Loyalist Militia units are on the left. To their right in the next field over, you can see the Provincials running from the field.

For some odd reason, both Lieutenant Adamson and Colonel Ferguson had their blood up. First the young lieutenant vaulted over the fence with his few men to drive back the now leaderless forces of the late Colonel Winn. He succeeded but fell in his brave but foolish act. Colonel Ferguson also attempted to drive off the all but beaten foe and lost his life as well. With elements of two regiments now nearly leaderless and the Provincials having already left the field, honor was satisfied. We led our men in good order from the field, putting up a strong and stubborn defense to prevent pursuit.

I was to learn that Captain Huck was one of the first to leave the field in great haste to save his own neck. All of the senior officers among the provincials survived in spite to taking terrible losses. The militia on the other hand showed very good discipline and held their ground throughout the fight and only left the field when no chance of victory remained.

Your obiedient servant,

Colonel Floyd


Well, that is atleast how I remember it. ;)

It was a great game. Our miniature Loyalists fared much better than the actual ones. Huck survived and all of the Loyalist militia was in pretty good shape by the end. Thanks Mark for putting on a great game.

The remnant of the British Legion falling back across the field.

Brian had a tough run of cards and his force only arrived on the scene late. Once he finally got moving, he locked in the Rebel victory and nearly cut off the Provincial's escape.

Brian's troops heading into the plantation attempting to seal off the retreat.

Here is what was left of Mark's troops after being bounced back from the fence line. His troops effectively bottled up the Loyalist militia inside the fence and kept us from attempting to assist the Provincials. That and Floyd's card barely showed itself.

Jim's troops consistently rolled more 1's than 6's during movement and combat. This earned him a "Looting" Card. Having some nearby Loyalist Militia horses, his boys grabbed them and ran to the rear. Later, Doug would order his men to do the same thing. Clearly the Loyalists would not make their getaway with any speed.

Rob's troops were hard pressed the whole game. The New York Volunteers held the longest. They are the troops closest. The Legion, did not hold quite so well. Here they are after being bounced back by Colonel Neal (Doug).

I took probably 50 pictures but did not realize how shaky my hands were until going through them. Most were just terrible. This was the best of the bunch.


  1. Glad you enjoyed the trouncing (says the only rebel player to lose their Big man). Anyone in the area should head up to Historic Brattonsville next weekend (July 14,15) to see a AWI encampment.near the actual battlefield. Whats with the NRA paranoia petition at the bottom of the page? BTW

    1. Blogger likes to target ads based on who is viewing. I guess they picked you correctly. :)

    2. Well, It could've been worse.