Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Rick Memorial Games Day

Had a chance to get out and get some games in today. One of the local Atlanta gamers passed away last December and Mark put together a games day in his memory. There was a Napoleonics game, a Seven Years War game, two Vietnam Games, a couple of games of Wings of War and a game of Rourke's Drift.

I was able to participate in James' Vietnam game and played the VC. I had a platoon of VC supported by a Heavy Machine gun and a Recoilless Rifle. My opponent had a platoon of US troops supported by a machinegun.

The scenario was a simple meeting engagement. The VC entered near the village and quickly occupied some buildings. The Heavy MG set up in the edge of some heavy woods and the recoilless rifle deployed in front of a building. The US Advanced more slowly. I had a rough time getting my troops to activate. But when I did, they were VERY effective. During the game two US squads and the US machine gun ended up breaking and running to the rear. The recoilless rifle was used to destroy a hooch that was directly in front of it. This causes some casualties and some shock on the squad taking refuge in the hooch. The picture below shows the roof off of the destroyed hooch.

One of the US Squads advanced on the left of the village but was spotted by a squad of VC in a hut. They were fired upon and did not advance the rest of the game. The squad that fired on them did not activate for the rest of the game. In the end, the VC only lost one man killed while the US forces lost 10 men and had loads of shock.

The game was great fun and I would play the rules again. They moved quickly and seemed to produce a reasonable result.

The next game was a Wings of War game. I ran two Fokker Eindeckers, James had 2 DH2s (possibly?) and another player had two more Eindeckers. Three of the four Eindeckers were Mark IIIs and I had one Mark IV (dual guns). It was a fun and quick game. Both of my aircraft had taken some damage with the Mark IV loosing about half of its points. James managed to shoot down one of the other guys aircraft.

It was a fun day that I hope we make an annual event. Thanks to Mark for setting this up.

2 comments:

  1. It was a fun day. I managed to blast away the damnable Frogs in a Spanish Peninsula game and get overrun by Zulus at Rorke's Drift. It was heartening to see a good turn out for the game day. Boris came in from DC and Steve down from NC. I think the shortest commute was 45 minutes. So good show, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking terrain and models. Those aircraft remind me that I need to play more air war games. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete